Tuesday, April 13, 2010

15 minutes of fame


Easter 1985 - I was walking south from Dead Horse Gap to the Old Tin Mines through some tall mountain ash trees when we stopped to talk with a couple of other walkers. One of them said to me, "Hey, aren't you the guy on the cover of Wild?".

Puffing my chest out a little and trying not to seem too pleased at being recognised, I replied, "Yes, I am" .... to which he said, "I thought so .... I recognised the shorts."  It was clear that my 15 minutes of fame was over before it had even started as my shorts were more famous than I.

And yes, that is me a quarter of a century ago with more hair and a little less weight. There have been many great adventures in the outdoors for me since then .... and I am happy to note that I am still out there enjoying new adventures.

No comments: