Saturday, February 05, 2011

Dunk'n'Wind



Eighteen months ago I was lucky enough to paddle my sea kayak with a group of others up the eastern side of Hinchinbrook Island from Lucinda to arrive at Dunk Island over 100kms and 10 days later. It was nice to have hot showers and cool drinks after over a week of wilderness camping.


The photo above was the view from the resort restaurant looking across to Mission Beach.

Below is a photo taken after powerful cyclone Yasi demolished the resort. The pool is was to the left and in front of the green roof.  I would imagine that many of the lush, tropical campsites along the coast of Hinchinbrook Island have met the same fate.  :-((


Photo: Brian Cassey/Courier Mail

1 comment:

chickendrinker said...

Gasp 8-0
I can't believe the stories of people willing to sit through that. I had family at Tully that decided to sit it out. Fortunately they are fine but very nervy.