Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Ups and downs in Nepal


Thought I'd drag a few photos out of the vault from a trip to Nepal in 2004. Lucky I had two good shoulders then otherwise I might have found myself falling a looooong way down. ;-)


We travelled on tracks not used much these days, not seeing any other people for 4 or 5 days at a time. Although there was that Maoist rebel that travelled with us for a while as a "friend" of one of the guides. It was a time when you had to pay cash to the rebels (with large guns and knives) to enter their territory,  but they gave you a receipt so that you could show the next group that you had already paid. Scarey at times, but very civilised really.


There is nothing like being in the mountains with peaks towering to 7,000m around you. A trip I had wanted to do for a lifetime. Carpe diem.

1 comment:

Flyboy said...

Looks like an awesome trip Gaz! Would love to see more of the photos one day.